In Year 12, you can tailor your engineering or computer science studies to fit your individual interest, abilities and ambitions. You can also work towards A-levels that complement your specialist studies.
Using the latest technology, you will learn through projects and practical activities. Teaching staff run lessons and seminars to introduce new topics and are always on hand to offer support in our independent learning spaces. You’ll also work closely with our industry partners on projects and challenges they set.
Once you’ve completed your post 16 studies you will be well qualified to head straight into employment, a higher apprenticeship or on to university.
At the UTC you will also be expected to participate in Core Projects which are run in conjunction with our industry partners as well as take the opportunity to gain professional qualifications.
You will be expected to take a mix of subjects that will lead to at least the equivalent of 3 A-levels.
Specialist subjects (vocational)
A Level 3 BTEC will open up engineering career opportunities in civil, mechanical, electrical and electronic systems. There are various qualifications you can work towards:
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate in Engineering (Equivalent to one A-level)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Engineering (Equivalent to three A-levels)
Computer Science (IT)
A Level 3 BTEC will open up technical career opportunities in IT such as programming and software development or networking and communications. There are various qualifications you can work towards:
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate in Computing (Equivalent to one A-level)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Computing (Equivalent to three A-levels)
- Further Mathematics
- L3 Core Mathematics
- Computer Science
- Business Studies
- Art and Design 3D Architecture
We offer a range of study options that will really help build your skills and knowledge in our engineering or computer science specialisms:
- BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Engineering or Computing, Level 3 Core Maths and Extended Project Qualification
Blending technical and academic qualifications
- One BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate in Engineering or Computing and two A-levels
- Three A-levels
You’ll also have the opportunity to gain professional qualifications from Microsoft, Cisco and Autodesk.
How to apply
If this sounds like the right place to continue your studies, please complete our application form.
Once we’ve received your application, we will arrange for you to come into the UTC to meet with a member of the teaching team to discuss your study options and the GCSE grades you’ll need to achieve.
The documents below will give you further information on our curriculum: