UTC Reading eLearning Scheme
As you will be aware, a laptop is an essential piece of equipment for every student at UTC Reading. There are two ways in which students are able to access a laptop to complete their studies at the UTC. The first would be for the students to Bring Their Own Device (BYOD), and the second would be to join the UTC Reading E-Learning Scheme that gives every student access to a laptop for their use both at home and at school to ensure that they can make the most of the time available for learning.
A typical laptop on our scheme has the following specification (as of September 2018):
- I5 processor
- 8 GB RAM
- 256 SSD
The advantages to joining our eLearning scheme over buying your own device through a retail outlet are:
- We offer business grade laptops with great build quality and better battery life than consumer level laptops that you would buy from retail.
- Insurance and warranty is built into the 2 year scheme.
- We offer a loan laptop should you eLearning laptop have to go off for repair.
- You can pay monthly for the cost of the laptop, warranty and insurance.
- You will own the laptop after the last payment has been made on the scheme.
Every laptop comes with Windows 10 Home and Windows Defender as the anti-virus solution. All the software that students need to use day-to-day is provided through the cloud. This includes:
- Microsoft Office 365 (With Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Teams etc.)
- Adobe Creative Cloud Suite (Includes Adobe Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Spark, In Design, Premier Pro etc.)
- Microsoft Imagine Premium (includes Microsoft Windows Server, Microsoft Azure, Microsoft Windows 10, Microsoft Visual Studio, Microsoft SQL Server, Microsoft Project and Microsoft Visio).
Plus, because the laptop is owned by the parents, students have the option to down-load any software they wish to use day-to-day. Parents may wish to withhold the administrator password from the student if you do not wish them to install software.
All devices that connect to our school Wi-Fi (whether eLearning laptops, school desktops, BYOD devices or mobile phones) will be monitored in terms of internet usage. Once you are off our network, monitoring stops. Any user connected to our network has to agree to abide by our Acceptable Use Policy.
The insurance policy bundled in with the laptop does not include if the laptop is lost or stolen from school, the journey to/from school or stolen from your home. The insurance covers things like cracked screens, broken keyboard etc. We recommend that you insure the laptop on your home insurance for situations such as loss or theft.