What does this qualification cover?
GCSE Mathematics is split across Higher and Foundation Tiers.
UTC Reading uses a spiral curriculum to strengthen and develop understanding of interlinked mathematical topics and concepts. Linking learning in the maths classroom to learning across the curriculum and real industry applications, enabling students to:
- Develop fluent knowledge, skills and understanding of mathematical methods and concepts
- Acquire, select and apply mathematical techniques to solve problems
- Reason mathematically, make deductions and inferences, and draw conclusions
- Comprehend, interpret and communicate mathematical information in a variety of forms appropriate to the information and context.
GCSE Mathematics focuses on interlinked topics that are divided into five main disciplines:
- Probability and Statistics
- Geometry and measures
- Ratio and Proportion
GCSE maths will provide you with a plethora of transferable skills, which are highly valued by employers.
Areas that you will develop include:
- Problem solving
- Logical reasoning
- Critical thinking
- Analytical skills
- Statistical and data analysis
- Financial skills
- Clear and concise communication skills
Links to workplace
A strong GCSE qualification in mathematics is highly desirable for a wide range of careers and essential for many post-16 study routes.
Careers that utilise mathematics include:
- Finance including accountancy, actuary sciences, banking and statistical forecasting
UTC Reading offers an additional qualification of Level 2 Further maths for our most able students aspiring for grades 8 and 9. This course provides a bridge between GCSE mathematics and A Level, while also boosting GCSE performance by developing higher level mathematical skills, introducing new concepts including:
- Differential calculus
- Trigonometric equations and identities
- Binomial expansions
- Algebraic manipulation and proof