UTC Reading is a University Technical College that delivers computer science and engineering excellence for 14-19 year olds within a 15 mile radius of the campus.
We aim to educate and train the next generation of technicians, engineers and industrial innovators.
Our vision is for our students to be inspired by the relevance and challenge of solving real-life industrial and community problems. They will rapidly gain the confidence and both the technical and personal skills to become the creative contributors on whom our businesses and public services can rely for shaping and driving the future of our society.
The ethos of the UTC is inclusive, enabling and non-hierarchical. Every student and member of staff is encouraged and expected to continuously strive for improvement, setting themselves goals that are both personally challenging and constructive for the community as a whole. In a climate of mutual support and respect, individuals gain the motivation to work with initiative and independence and also the self-confidence to ask questions and to seek the help of others.
We achieve this by:
- Drawing on the expertise and resources of our industry and academic partners; building and continuously refreshing the curriculum with their guidance and input
- Establishing Computer Science (which will also help deliver Digital Literacy skills) as a core curriculum subject in UTC Reading at Key Stage 4, and building a technical curriculum that provides specialisations at Key Stage 4 and corresponding progression pathways at Key Stage 5, to include:
- Programming and software development
- Networking and communications technologies
- Engineering and systems
As a lead school for computing at school (CAS) we engage with local primary and secondary schools to raise the level of interest amongst students in taking computer science and engineering by:
- Offering a technical vocational choice for young people aged 14-19
- An ethos and working day that matches closely with business practice
- Learning that is delivered through practical work-related projects that foster both collaboration skills and independence
- Incorporating rich opportunities for informal learning, through project work and enrichment activities
- Providing state of the art buildings and facilities and recruiting able, motivated and expert staff that match the ambition of the project
UTC Reading is a very special place created through a partnership between industry and education. Our new approach to the curriculum, grounded in traditional values, provide a great foundation for your future.
Not only will you have the opportunity to follow your areas of interest in either computing or engineering while studying for your traditional qualifications, you will also learn invaluable practical skills from the best in the industry. We are confident that students who attend UTC Reading will be given the best start with a variety of progression routes into employment and further or higher education.
Should you wish to contact the Principal, please email Jessica Bryant (email@example.com) or telephone the UTC via reception 0118 938 1020.